Friday, January 24, 2014

Jennifer Eliogu Makes Transition From Film to Music

Jennifer Eliogu…The Screen diva with great panache!

Written by BY GERALDINE AKUTU
Nigeria Guardian

Eliogu THIS lovely Nollywood diva has joined the list of actresses that have gone into music. She is a graduate of English Education from Lagos state university (LASU). Awards she has won include: Best supporting actress (Igbo) THEMA Awards 2004, LEGEND Achievement Award (USA 2010), ZAFAA Awards (UK 2011) and others. Recently, Jennifer who is still acting released a music album. In this chat with GERALDINE AKUTU, she talks about her acting and music.

How did you join Nollywood?

I finished secondary school in 1992 and studying for a diploma course at University Of Jos (Unijos). During one of the holidays, I followed a friend to an audition for a new movie, I was fascinated and asked to be auditioned as well. The producer/ Director was impressed by my performance and offered me a role.

How long have you been in the movie industry?

I have been acting since 1996.

What do you enjoy most about acting?

Acting gives you the platform for greater achievements. The exposure, if well managed, can open doors that ordinarily wouldn't had been easy. And then the fact that you can play just about any character in different movies like doctor in one, lawyer in another, wife, daughter, wicked mother....It's fun!

Who are your role models in the movie industry?

Hmmm…I watch a lot of movies and I must say that I really appreciate good actors at home and abroad. My list is endless…

What distinguishes you as an actress?

As actors we all are unique in our own ways, we have mannerism's or attributes peculiar to each one of us. I believe my fans would be in the best position to give the reasons for their preference.

What makes your style unique?

The fact that style to me is all about me. I'm a unique creation so whatever makes me feel classy, confident, comfortable...that's my style!

What are the challenges facing the Nollywood industry?

The challenges range from Piracy to funding, etc. All that can be handled if government would step in. So far, the government of His excellency, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has been very supportive. But I ask that the government create a more flexible condition to enable producers access the funds. And not only institutionalize some level of punishment for piracy but also see to the implementation of same. However, inspite of these evident challenges, the industry over the last 20 years has recorded tremendous progress.

Your favourite movie role

The role I played in ‘From Within’, a family story written and produced by me. A nanny, shabbily dressed with no make up, undone hair all through the movie. I was as natural as can be, and the role taught me one thing ‘true Love see's the heart, not the face.’

Why did you go into music?

Well… I've always had a passion for music. Born into an Anglican family, I've been in the choir from secondary school days. I come from a family of music lovers. Back in the day my friends and I used to go for karaoke a lot, and I would perform with live bands just for fun. Finally, I've decided to live my dream...

What's the title of your album?

The Album title is ‘Beautiful.’

What's your style of music like?

I do a little bit of this and that. Soul with a jazzy feel, R &B, highlife, lover's reggae, Inspirational songs… Whatever the genre, I put in as much passion.

What's your most embarrassing moment?

I took my kids to a party. On sighting me a very excited fan came from the crowd and jumped on me, we both landed on some other guest beside us. I was very embarrassed, and she felt really bad especially when we realized the screen of my Blackberry phone had been smashed. Her daughter told me that I was her mum's favourite actress and that she had always wanted to meet me in person. So, when I stepped into the venue, she screamed and rushed towards me. The rest is history.....some consolation (laughs)!

What defines your dressing before you step out of the house?

The occasion and my mood determines my look.

Your favourite signature scent

Oh! Perfumes are my thing. I love everything Gucci. And then Flower Rebel by Rihannah...I have a long list.

What's your philosophy of life?

Life is a mission, not a competition. Move at your pace.....My pace?...Slowly but surely!

What's your advice to upcoming ones?

Believe in yourself, hold on to your dream. Be true to yourself, If it's not working, try something else. If you're convinced that acting is it then be patient, your time will come.

No comments: